Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Cardamom Sour-Cream Waffles


I wanted a waffle. I don't know why because waffles aren't a breakfast food I usually crave (but seriously, when you want a waffle, you just want a waffle- enough said).

Lucky for me I quickly found a recipe I wanted to try and I had ALL the ingredients handy!



Since I love cardamom, this particular recipe was calling to me.

I don't usually use syrup on my waffles or pancakes- I guess I prefer to be more experimental. Peanut butter, pumpkin butter, vanilla yogurt, applesauce, jams...
Whatever I can find that sounds good at the time, but on occasion I don't use anything at all.




It seems like a good basic from-scratch waffle recipe (sans cardamom). If you prefer, don't use the cardamom, but from there you could easily make adaptations.
Cinnamon, lemon zest, pumpkin pie or gingerbread spices (maybe take a little sour cream away and add molasses for that- I'll have to experiment with that one because it sounds really good).
No sour cream? Do you have some plain yogurt in the fridge?

If you don't have a waffle iron handy, just add a little extra milk to thin the batter and make pancakes instead.



Cardamom Sour-Cream Waffles
from Gourmet Magazine, February 2008
Serves 4 (makes about 8 waffles)

1 1/2 c flour
1 1/2 t baking powder
3/4 t baking soda
Rounded 1/4 t salt
1 t ground cardamom
1 c whole milk
1 c sour cream
1 t pure vanilla extract
1 T mild honey
2 large eggs
3 T unsalted butter, melted

Preheat waffle iron until hot. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cardamom.
Whisk together remaining ingredients in another bowl, then whisk lightly into flour mixture until just combined. Lightly brush (or spray) waffle iron with oil and cook waffles according to manufacturers instructions.


So, I'll be out of town for a little while. I have a few posts set to go while I am away...

No comments:

Post a Comment